Mac and Cheese is such a comfort food but a healthy Mac and Cheese is even better. You can still get that delicious creamy consistency without all that butter – as tasty as it is. This is a super simple recipe your kids will love and there is a hidden vegetable involved too! This is the Gluten-Free version, but you can obviously swamp out for a whole wheat pasta as well.
- 2 cups uncooked gluten-free elbow macaroni
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 small yellow onion
- 1 small butternut squash (4-5 cups cubed)
- 5 cups gluten free chicken or vegetable broth (Trader Joe’s makes a great gluten free chicken broth)
- ¾ cup milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ⅔ cup of any shredded cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- Remove the skin and the seeds from the squash and cut into small cubes, set aside.
- Cook the macaroni according to package directions, drain and set aside.
- Heat the butter in a large pot over medium low heat.
- Cut the onion into thin rings and sauté them by adding them into the hot butter for about 20 minutes.
- Bring the broth to a boil, add the squash and cook the mixture for 5 minutes or until tender.
- Drain, but leave ½ cup broth, and transfer squash to the blender.
- Add the onions, milk, salt, and reserved broth and puree until completely smooth and creamy.
- Pour the pureed sauce over the cooked macaroni and add the shredded cheese, stirring to melt the cheese.