Create your own Hovercraft Balloon!
- 1 Balloon
- 1 water bottle sport-top (or one from a liquid dish-soap)
- 1 old CD or DVD
- Duct tape
1. Glue the sport-top on tope of the hold of the CD and let it dry thoroughly.
2. Tape the top’s base with duct tape. This is to ensure that there are no holes between the CD and the sport-top.
3. Stretch the balloon over the spout.
4. With the sport-top open, inflate the ballon by blowing into it through the hold of the CD.
5. Close the sport-top so that the balloon stays inflated.
6. Place your Hovercraft balloon on to the tape.
7. Open the sport-top and give your Hovercraft a nudge to send it off.
This Hovercraft experiment is a great way to introduce the idea of friction. As the balloon deflates, air is lifting up the CD. This makes the CD hover over the table. Try to give the Hovercraft a push with a deflated balloon and see how it compares to the inflated balloon.