Gelato is one of my favorite summer time (and any time) treats. It’s so creamy and refreshing. Have you ever thought about making your own at home? It’s super easy and you can buy an ice cream maker for under $30 these days. Just think of the money you’ll save! You can make it ahead of time and add whatever you want rather than running out to the corner store and paying $6 for a pint (it’s happened to all of us…)
Well, we’re not making ice cream, I’m teaching you how to make gelato. Now in addition to this being super delicious it’s also vegan, gluten and dairy-free so really, it’s basically an easy, guilt-free, healthy dessert. Check it out:
- 6 oz strawberries, with the hulls removed
- 1 1/4 c coconut milk
- 1/3 c white sugar (you can also substitute agave nectar but use slightly less than 1/4 cup)
- 1/2 t vanilla extract
- 1/2 t fresh lemon juice
- Place all of the ingredients in a blender and process until there are no large strawberry chunks remaining.
- Pour the mixture into the bowl of an ice cream maker and process it according to the directions on the ice cream maker.
- Freeze for 3-4 hours or until it is firm.