You’re busy. We get it. Believe us, we understand. There’s nothing better than a home-cooked meal but finding the time to prep food and cook everything can feel next to impossible when you’re a parent to young children. That’s why we’re big fans of “cook everything in one pot” sort of recipes. The slow cooker is your friend! All you have to do is set some time aside in the morning (you could even prep veggies the night before), toss it all in the cooker, turn the heat to low, and let it stew all day until dinner time. Easy and incredibly delicious! You really can’t beat an easy slow cooker chicken recipe:
- 1 whole chicken
- 1 tbsp. butter
- Preferred spices (salt, garlic powder, pepper)
- Preferred herbs (rosemary and basil both work well)
- 3-4 medium-sized sweet potatoes
- Rinse the chicken thoroughly and remove the innards.
- Toss a tab of butter into the bottom of a slow cooker or CrockPot. Turn heat on low and let it melt.
- Place chicken in the cooker breast-side down.
- Sprinkle the chicken with your preferred spices. You may wish to stuff it with herbs or even orange slices to add more moisture and flavor. But it’s up to you!
- Put the lid on the cooker and let cook for 8 hours on low.
- About two hours before the chicken is done, place sweet potatoes on top of the chicken to let them steam. You’ll know when they’re done when you can stick a fork through their center with minimal resistance.
The beauty of a recipe like this is it’s simple and hands-off. Add roughly chopped carrots or celery in with the chicken. Swap out the aromatics. Have fun and know by day’s end dinner will be ready and waiting.
Image sources: Food.com, Brown Sugar Toast, Wally Hartshorn
- The Best Gifts to Buy Your Kids This Holiday Season - October 28, 2022
- Cress Caterpillars - April 30, 2020
- Earth Day Recycled Bugs - April 22, 2020