I love shrimp cocktail! As a kid, I would order it as a treat when we went to restaurants. As I have gotten older, this once popular menu item has dropped off many appetizer sections. If you are like me and love this dish, you will find it is very easy to make at home.
Classic Shrimp Cocktail
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1 t cream horseradish
- juice of two lime wedges
- a dash Worcestershire sauce
- 1 lb cooked shrimp
Combine first four ingredients in a small bowl. Mix well. Serve cooked shrimp on the side. Serves 2-4 people. Now for the upgraded version. This is also known as Mexican Shrimp Cocktail. You can find many different recipes online, however, after many bowls and multiple friends opinions, some adding of ingredients and taking away others, this is the recipe I ended up with and it seems I can never make a large enough batch of it to satisfy my family and friends. It is so delicious and light.
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/3 red onion, diced
- 1 large tomato, seeded and cut into 1/4″ cubes
- 1 large avocado, peeled and cubed
- 1 lime, juiced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 T olive oil
- 2 cups Clamato
- Sea salt
- Cholula hot sauce
- 1 1/2 lb cooked shrimp, chopped into 1/2″ pieces
In a large bowl, mix cilantro, onion, tomato, lime juice, garlic, olive oil and Clamato. Stir until all ingredients are mixed well. Add shrimp and stir. Add salt and hot sauce to taste. Avocado goes in last. Stir gently so that the avocado doesn’t get squished. Serve chilled by itself or with chips. Serves 4-6 people.
- Summer Fun Activities: Let it Snow! - June 5, 2014
- Shrimp Cocktail Gets an Upgrade - May 7, 2014
- Gardening with Kids: Herbs at Arms Length - May 2, 2014