I love my slow cooker more than I love most things. That sounds extreme – but what other appliance can cook your food overnight without the threat of burning down your house? Exactly. I think the ONLY downside to owning a slow cooker is the smell that wafts through your house at night. It’s tempting but fight the urge to open the fridge at midnight. Today we have another one of those super easy slow cooker recipes. It’s kid friendly and you’ll love it too.
- 2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
- 5 Tortillas, cut 2 of them into thin (about 1/4 inch) strips, and tear the remaining 3 into large pieces
- 1 Medium onion, diced
- 6 Garlic cloves, minced
- 2- 14.5 Ounce cans diced tomatoes
- 8 Cups of chicken stock
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons cumin
- 1 Tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 4 Bay leaves
- 4 Boneless chicken breast halves (uncooked)
- 1/2 Cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 14 Ounces frozen corn
- Juice from 1 lime
- Shredded cheese, avocado, and sour cream for garnish
- In a 6 quart slow cooker, combine diced onions, minced garlic, diced tomatoes, 8 cups chicken stock, cumin, chili powder, cayenne pepper, bay leaves, and 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves.
- Combine all the ingredients together by stirring them.
- Cook on either low for 6-8 hours or on high for 3-4 hours.
- About an hour before you’re ready to eat, remove the bay and chicken from the slow cooker.
- Use two forks to shred the chicken and put the shredded chicken back into the slow cooker.
- Add the frozen corn, chopped fresh cilantro, fresh lime juice, and the 3 tortillas that you tore into pieces (separate from the crispy tortilla strips you will add later) and cook for 30 minutes longer on low.
- Heat 2 tablespoons vegetable oil in a non-stick skillet. When the oil is hot, add in the tortillas that you cut into strips. When the tortilla strips are nice and crispy, remove them from the pan.
- To serve, sprinkle shredded cheddar cheese and top with crispy tortilla strips for each bowl.
- Top with sour cream and avocado as well if you wish.
Latest posts by ItsySparks (see all)
- Easy Crafts Kids Will Love to Do at Home (with videos) - October 30, 2018
- 10 Best Learning Toys for Kids - October 29, 2018
- 13 Best Kids Halloween Movies - October 11, 2018