Okay, you might think I’m completely nuts for the next couple healthy desserts this week but ever since I started subbing cauliflower for potatoes in my diet I’ve been trying to find substitutions for flour, sugar, etc… It’s actually amazing how cocoa and other spices can overpower things like vegetables in desserts and that’s exactly what I’m bringing to the table today.
On Wednesday I’ll post a recipe for a Zucchini Crisp that will blow your mind, but for now I have Spinach Brownies – I swear they’re delicious.
- 1 ¼ cups frozen chopped spinach (measured frozen)
- 1 cup pureed green plantain
- 6 oz semisweet chocolate
- ½ cup extra virgin coconut oil
- ½ cup palm shortening or substitute butter
- 6 eggs
- 1 Tbsp honey
- 1 Tbsp molasses
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- 1 Tbsp vanilla
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp cream of tartar
- Pinch cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 325F and line a 9”x13” baking pan with wax paper
- Melt the coconut oil and chocolate together over low heat on the stove top or medium power in the microwave. Add vanilla and stir to incorporate and let the mixture cool
- Mix cocoa powder, baking soda, cream of tartar, salt and cinnamon.
- Blend the spinach, plantain, egg, honey and molasses together in a food processor or blender, until completely smooth (2-4 minutes).
- Add palm shortening to food processor and process until full incorporated.
- Add the melted chocolate mixture to the egg mixture slowly and processing or blending constantly.
- Take the dry ingredients and process/stir to fully incorporate.
- Pour batter into prepared baking pan
- Bake for 40 minutes
- Cool completely in pan, but them into squares
Latest posts by ItsySparks (see all)
- The Best Gifts to Buy Your Kids This Holiday Season - October 28, 2022
- Cress Caterpillars - April 30, 2020
- Earth Day Recycled Bugs - April 22, 2020