We’re big on quick and easy meals around here. But we’re also big on health. However, staying healthy and appealing to tiny tastebuds can be a challenge. Thankfully, this healthy pasta dish is sure to be a crowd favorite. It’s a vegetarian take on lasagna and takes half the time to make. This recipe is adapted from Disney Family and offers all the flavor with none of the hassle. This dish starts on the stovetop and finishes in the oven, so make sure to preheat your oven to 350 degrees as you prepare and cook the ravioli.
- 2 tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 2 grated carrots
- 1 minced garlic clove
- 1 package of thawed ravioli
- 1 jar of your preferred pasta sauce
- 1 cup shredded provolone cheese
- 6-8 slices of fresh mozzarella cheese
- Grated Parmesan for topping
- Dried herbs like basil and oregano to taste
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat vegetable oil in an oven-safe skillet then add minced onion, carrots, garlic, your preferred herbs, salt and pepper. Cook until the onion is translucent but not browned. Pour out the veggies into a bowl.
- Add thawed ravioli to the skillet and place the onions back on top. Pour pasta sauce over that and cook for several minutes until the ravioli are cooked all the way through. Don’t stir!
- Once the ravioli are cooked, remove the skillet from the heat and top with a layer of shredded provolone cheese and the fresh mozzarella slices. Bake for about 10 minutes until the cheese is evenly melted.
- Remove from the oven and top each serving with a bit of Parmesan, if desired.
The end result is a cheesy, delicious dish that’s high on flavor and offers some hidden veggies to ramp up the health factor.
Image source: Generation Y Foodie