You’ve had it thousands of times for brunch and I’m here to teach you how to make huevos rancheros. It’s the perfect dish for breakfast, lunch, dinner or even a snack and it’s packed with protein. This recipe makes four servings.
For the Chips:
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- 8 corn tortillas, each cut into 8 wedges
- 1 1 -ounce packet ranch dressing mix
For the Sauce:
- 5 plum tomatoes
- 1/2 medium white onion
- 5 cloves garlic, unpeeled
- 1 to 2 chipotles in adobo sauce
- 1 15 -ounce can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
For the Eggs:
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 8 large eggs
- 1 avocado, halved, pitted and sliced
- Fresh cilantro and crumbled cotija cheese, for topping (optional)
- Make the chips: Start by heating 3/4 inch vegetable oil in a pot over medium heat until a deep-fry thermometer registers 375 degrees F. Fry the tortillas in small batches until they’re golden (about 1 minute). Drain on paper towels and sprinkle with 1 tablespoon dressing mix.
- Make the sauce: Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the tomatoes, onion and garlic and cook, turning, until the vegetables are charred, 5 to 7 minutes. Squeeze the garlic from its skin and cut the onion and tomatoes into chunks. Transfer to a blender; pulse with remaining dressing mix (about 2 tablespoons), the chipotles and half of the beans until smooth.
- Heat the olive oil in the same skillet over medium heat and add the pureed mixture and the remaining beans and cook until thick, about 5 minutes. Keep warm.
- Make the eggs: Melt 1 teaspoon butter in a skillet over medium heat. Fry the eggs in batches until the whites are set, adding more butter as needed. Divide the sauce among shallow bowls; top each serving with 2 eggs, some ranch chips and avocado.
- You can also sprinkle on cilantro and shredded cheese, if you like.
Latest posts by ItsySparks (see all)
- The Best Gifts to Buy Your Kids This Holiday Season - October 28, 2022
- Cress Caterpillars - April 30, 2020
- Earth Day Recycled Bugs - April 22, 2020