I love hiding vegetables in desserts. There I said it.
I’ve been sneaking vegetables into dinners and desserts now for quite some time and I haven’t been caught yet. I’m not sure if you saw Monday’s post, but if you’re just turning in to the healthy desserts series I posted a killer recipe for Spinach Brownies. Today it’s all about mock apples, the zucchini crumble, tastes just like an apple crumble without the apples.
It’s so much easier to get rid of spare apples – you can pack them in a lunch or grab one and eat it. Zucchinis are a little tougher as a snack, so sometimes you end up with a bunch of extra ones. Well now you can make a dessert with them, check it out:
- 3 cups flour
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup butter or margarine
- 10 cups peeled, seeded, and cubed or sliced zucchini
- 2/3 cup lemon juice
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- Combine dry ingredients and cut in butter till crumbly.
- Press about 1/3 of the mixture into a greased 9×13″ pan.
- Bake at 375 for 12 minutes. Bring zucchini and lemon juice to a boil in a large pan.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 8-10 minutes, or till crisp tender.
- Stir in sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Cover and simmer 5 minutes. (Mixture will be thin.)
- Spoon over crust; sprinkle with reserved crumb mixture.
- Bake for an additional 40-45 minutes, or till golden brown.
- Serve warm with ice cream or whipped cream
Latest posts by ItsySparks (see all)
- The Best Gifts to Buy Your Kids This Holiday Season - October 28, 2022
- Cress Caterpillars - April 30, 2020
- Earth Day Recycled Bugs - April 22, 2020