On Friday I posted some beautiful inspiration for kid friendly salads. Well, here we are and here you are trying to decide what kind of salad to prepare for your family. Look no further! These salads are not only kid approved but something adults can enjoy as well, there are no pineapple chunks or mini marshmallows in these recipes… 🙂
The Wedge Salad
A wedge salad is a great way to get your kids to start enjoying salads since iceberg is quite mild (like crunchy water!) They’ll be focused more on the other toppings which can interchange but here’s a great recipe:
- 1 head iceberg lettuce, washed and cut into quarters
- 2 plum tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 3 strips cooked bacon (turkey bacon is okay), crumbled
- 8 oz. crumbled blue cheese or feta, divided
- 1/2 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 Tbsp. Dijon mustard
- 1 Tbsp. red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp. minced garlic
- kosher salt and pepper to taste
- Place one quarter of the lettuce on each of four plates or in a salad bowl, if serving homestyle.
- Sprinkle chopped tomatoes, crumbled bacon and half of the cheese evenly over the lettuce.
- Using a blender or food processor, combine the remaining ingredients. Puree until smooth.
- Pour over salad or serve on the side.
Broccoli is so, so good for you. It’s packed with vitamin C and calcium. This is a really good salad that I personally love and loved as a child.
- 5 strips bacon
- 5 cups broccoli florets, chopped into bite-sized pieces
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds (toasted, if desired)
- 1/2 cup raisins or crasins
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup diced red onion
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 2 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 2 Tbsp. sugar
- Fry bacon until crisp and drain
- Boil broccoli in 3-quart saucepan three-quarters of the way full. While the water is heating, fill a large bowl with ice and cold water
- Add broccoli to boiling water and cook for 1 minute. Immediately drain it and plunge into ice water
- Drain and transfer to a salad bowl
- Add almonds, raisins, cheese, and onion
- In a small bowl, whisk together mayonnaise, vinegar and sugar. Pour over broccoli mixture and toss well
- Mix in half of the bacon and crumble the remaining bacon over the top of the salad just before serving